You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How soon after I get my discharge can I file bankruptcy again?

    The U. S. Courts website provides information that may assist you in determining when you might be eligible to file another bankruptcy. Please review the material at the following link under the heading "Can a debtor receive a second discharge in a later Chapter 7 case:"

    It is strongly advised that you seek legal advice from a competent bankruptcy attorney on this matter.

  • When is my case complete?

    When a final decree is entered, a bankruptcy case is considered closed. A no asset case will be closed within a reasonable time after a discharge is issued. An asset case is closed after the trustee has completed their obligations.

  • Will all my creditors be notified of my discharge?

    At the time a discharge is entered, a copy is mailed to all creditors that are on the case mailing list. Creditors listed at case opening, and those added to the list by amendment prior to the discharge being entered, will receive notice of your discharge.

  • Who has access to my bankruptcy file?

    Bankruptcy files are public records, which are available from the "Public Access to Court Electronic Records" (PACER) website. PACER allows users to obtain case and docket information from federal appellate, district, and bankruptcy courts via the internet using the PACER Case Locator.

  • When am I under bankruptcy protection?

    The automatic stay is in effect upon the filing of a bankruptcy. The U. S. Courts glossary defines the automatic stay as: An injunction that automatically stops lawsuits, foreclosures, garnishments, and all collection activity against the debtor the moment a bankruptcy petition is filed.

    For more information on bankruptcy protection, review the following information:

  • If my case gets dismissed, or I change my mind about filing, can I get my filing fee refunded?

    Appropriate filing fees that are paid cannot be refunded. Please review our court’s local rules for information on the refund of filing fees.

    Local Rules

  • How do I get my case dismissed?

    The local rules on dismissing a case are available at the following link:

    Local Rules

  • How can I get a case reopened?

    Information on reopening a case is provided on the U. S. Courts website at the following link under the heading "May the debtor pay a discharged debt after the bankruptcy case has been concluded?"

    In depth information on reopening fees is available on the U. S. Courts website at the following link:

  • How many years will a bankruptcy show on my credit report?

    The Federal Trade Commission provides detailed information on bankruptcy and your credit report at the following link:

    You may be able to obtain a free credit report at:

  • How can I get another copy of my discharge?

    When the order of discharge has been docketed in the case, the debtor will receive a copy by mail. Should you need another copy, there are three ways to obtain a copy of your discharge:

    1. Online:

      Through the “Public Access to Court Electronic Records” (PACER) by calling 800-676-6856 to set up an account or visiting their website at:

      Due to privacy procedures, some documents filed electronically will not be available online. When a user tries to access a document that is not available online, the System will display the message, “The document has been restricted. If this document is not redacted or sealed it may be viewed in the Clerk’s Office...” Restricted documents will be available for viewing and printing at the Clerk’s Office or may be purchased in paper form. For instructions on purchasing a restricted document by mail, please call 918-699-4072.

    2. By Mail:

      If your discharge was issued in the Northern District of Oklahoma, you may call the Clerk’s Office at 918-699-4072. We can give you the exact cost of printing your documents. We will print and mail copies of requested documents to you upon receipt of your payment for the copies in the exact amount due and a self-addressed stamped envelope. The cost for this option is 50 cents per page plus the cost of returned postage.

    3. In Person:

      The Clerk’s Office is located at 224 S. Boulder, Room 105, Tulsa, Oklahoma. Hours are 8:30 to 4:30, except on Tuesdays, when we close at 3:00. Copies from one of our self-service terminals cost 10 cents per page; or, we can print them for you at 50 cents per page.