You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is credit counseling? What is personal financial management instruction? Are there required forms?

    "Credit counseling" is a class session taken from a provider approved by the U.S. Trustee. It is a requirement for all individual debtors filing bankruptcy, and must be completed in the 180-days before filing bankruptcy. When filing jointly, each spouse must complete credit counseling. When the counseling session has been completed, the counselor will issue a certificate that must be filed with the court. The failure to file a properly issued "Certificate of Credit Counseling" will result in the dismissal of your bankruptcy case in almost all circumstances.

    "Personal financial management" instruction, also called "debtor education," is obtained after your case has been filed. It is required of each individual debtor, including both spouses in a joint case. Each debtor must file a "Certificate About A Financial Management Course" (Official Bankruptcy Form B423).

    Approved credit counseling agencies and debtor education providers are available from the U. S. Trustee at the following link:

    Exceptions to the above requirements might be available in certain circumstances. Examples would include but not be limited to: prior military service in a combat area, disability, handicap, certain defined emergency situations, insufficient approved agencies.

  • Why do I have to pay a fee to file bankruptcy? Can the court waive the fee?

    Federal law requires a fee to file a bankruptcy petition. If you cannot afford to pay the full fee at the time of filing, you may apply to pay the fee in installments. A form must be completed to make that application. The form is available in the Clerk's Office or by clicking the link below:

    If you cannot afford to pay the fee either in full at the time of filing or in installments, you may request a waiver of the filing fee by completing and filing an application. A judge will decide whether you have to pay the fee. By law, the judge may waive the fee only if your income is less than 150 percent of the official poverty line applicable to your family size and you are unable to pay the fee in installments. The form is available in the Clerk's Office or by clicking the link below:

    You may obtain information about the poverty guidelines in the Clerk's Office or at the following link:

    HHS Poverty Guidelines

  • Can I pay my filing fee by check or credit card?

    The court accepts payment in the form of cash (exact amount required), cashier's check, or money order made payable to "Clerk, United States Bankruptcy Court." We cannot accept personal checks or credit cards from individuals filing a new petition or who have an ongoing case.

  • What is the filing fee?

    The filing fee for a new petition as of December 1, 2020 is:

    Chapter 7 $ 338.00
    Chapter 9 $ 1738.00
    Chapter 11 $ 1738.00 Non-Railroad
    Chapter 11 $ 1571.00 Railroad
    Chapter 12 $ 278.00
    Chapter 13 $ 313.00
    Current fees may be found at the following link here.

    NOTE: The court cannot accept personal checks or credit cards from individuals filing a new petition or who have an ongoing case. Please bring a cashier's check, money order, or cash for the exact amount of the filing fee.

  • What is the creditor list?

    The creditor list is a list of the companies and individuals to whom you owe money. This list must be provided to the court in electronic format when you file your bankruptcy petition.

    The creditor list may be submitted via the Court's website at the link below, or input from a computer terminal in the Clerk's Office.

    The required local form "Verification as to Official Mailing Matrix” and guidelines are available on the court’s website at:

    Local Forms

    Instructions for preparing the creditor list in electronic format are available on the court's website at:

    Creditor Matrix

  • What services can a "Bankruptcy Petition Preparer" provide?

    Information on bankruptcy petition preparers is available from the Department of Justice at the following link:

    If you think a bankruptcy petition preparer fails to comply with the law, notify the U. S. Trustee and any trustee appointed in your case. The Tulsa office of the U. S. Trustee serves the Northern and Eastern Districts of Oklahoma. You may contact them by phone: 918-581-6670.

  • I cannot download your forms. What can I do?

    Copies of all required forms are available at the Clerk's Office during business hours.

  • Where can I get the forms needed to file bankruptcy?

    Paper copies of the required forms are available from the Clerk's Office during business hours. If you have access to a computer, the forms are available without charge on the Clerk's Office website at:


  • What documents do I need to submit to file bankruptcy?

    Instructions for filing chapters 7, 11, 12, & 13 can be found on our "Filing without an Attorney page."

    Filing Without an Attorney

  • What must I do before I file bankruptcy?

    To be eligible to be a debtor, with limited exceptions, an individual must receive credit counseling from an agency approved by the U. S. Trustee within 180 days prior to the date of filing bankruptcy.

    A link to a list of approved agencies is provided below: