You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

  • May I file without an attorney?

    While it is possible to file a bankruptcy case pro se (without an attorney) it is a difficult thing to do successfully. We recommend getting assistance from a competent bankruptcy attorney. All Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedures and Local Rules must be followed.

  • I can't afford an attorney. What should I do?

    If you cannot afford an attorney, the following links to legal assistance agencies and referral services may help you:

    Find an Attorney

    The Oklahoma Bar Association has information and links for individuals who may qualify for low cost or no cost legal assistance.

  • Do I need an attorney to file bankruptcy?

    If you are an individual, you may represent yourself in bankruptcy court without an attorney (this is also known as "pro se"). Keep in mind that, while individuals can file a bankruptcy case pro se, it is extremely difficult to do it successfully as the rules are very technical, and a misstep may affect your rights. Bankruptcy has long-term financial and legal consequences. Hiring a competent attorney is strongly recommended.

    Corporations and partnerships must have an attorney to file a bankruptcy case.

    You may contact the Oklahoma Bar Association for more information and referrals.

  • How do I file for bankruptcy protection?

    Filing is accomplished by completing the required forms and returning them to the Clerk's Office. A competent bankruptcy attorney can also ensure that you take all the required steps for filing. Before filing you must also complete a credit counseling session with a certified agency.

  • Where can I get additional information before I file bankruptcy?

    There are a number of resources available:

    1. There is online information provided by the Administrative Office of the U. S. Courts located at this link:

    2. The website of the Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma also has numerous links to information and resources.

      Filing without an Attorney

    3. Consider reviewing this list of Frequently Asked Questions for further information and answers to questions you may have.
  • Why is a transcript available to anyone who wants to view it at the Office of the Clerk, even in the first seven days after the transcript is filed? I thought parties had seven days to examine a transcript and file a Statement of Intent to Redact?

    The Judicial Conference has determined that transcripts must be available in the Office of the Clerk from their original filing. After a transcript has been redacted, the Clerk will seal the original, unredacted transcript. As with any other document, a party can always ask the Court to seal a transcript.

    The court's transcript policy and procedure is available at:

  • Why can't I view transcripts using my PACER account?

    The Judicial Conference has determined that transcripts may only be viewed in PACER by parties that have purchased the transcript from the transcriber, for the first ninety days after filing. Other interested parties may view the transcripts at the Office of the Clerk without charge.

    The court's transcript policy and procedure is available at:

  • What is Electronic Case Filing (ECF)?

    The U.S. Courts maintain electronic case files and offer internet based electronic filing using the Case Management/ Electronic Case Filing system (CM/ECF). The CM/ECF system enables users to open new bankruptcy cases, adversary proceedings, and file case documents over the internet. Filing documents using the CM/ECF system requires: a personal computer running Windows or Mac OS X, a standard web browser such as Internet Explorer or Firefox, an internet connection, and a court specific login.

    For additional information on CM/ECF, please visit the U.S. Courts website at:

  • How do I get admitted to practice in the bankruptcy court?

    Attorneys who have been admitted to practice, and are in good standing before the United States District Court for the Northern, Western, or Eastern District of Oklahoma, or before the Supreme Court of the State of Oklahoma, may practice in the Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma without special permission. Attorneys who have been admitted to practice, and are in good standing before any other court of the United States, or before the highest court of any other state, must apply for limited admission (Pro Hac Vice) and pay the appropriate fee.

    Additional information is available on the Northern District of Oklahoma Bankruptcy Court website at:

  • Where can I find post-judgment interest rates?

    Post judgment interest rates may be found at the following link: